Three-goal Owls move up into third place

Wednesday moved up to third in the division one table with a 3-1 win over Wycombe at Hillsborough this afternoon.

Victory sees us go a point behind joint leaders Ipswich and Portsmouth, having played a game more than the pair, and with the Tractor Boys at fourth-placed Plymouth tomorrow.

We created plenty of openings in an encouraging first-half performance and led 2-1 at the break. However, we hardly mustered an effort on target in the second half, until sub Callum Paterson swept home a third goal in the sixth minute of added time to ensure the three points after an often nervy and disjointed second 45 minutes.

The Owls got off to a flying start, taking the lead within the first minute when Marvin Johnson’s dangerous low cross to the far post was turned into his own net by Joe Jacobson, under pressure from Michael Smith.

Wycombe came straight back at Wednesday with David Stockdale, facing his old club, going full length to keep out a 20-yarder from Dominic Gape and Smith heading off the line when the ball was quickly reworked.

Undeterred, the visitors continued to press and were level on 10 minutes, Anis Mehmeti skipping through poor Wednesday defending on the left and pulling the ball back for Sam Vokes to drill home from 10 yards.

We soon began to dominate again, Will Vaulks bringing a tipover save from keeper Max Stryjek before regaining the lead on 32 minutes.

Lee Gregory sent Smith free down the right and his perfect low cross picked out Barry Bannan who steered home from six yards.

And Wednesday went close to a third goal just before the break, Bannan and Gregory combining inside the penalty area to set up Windass but Stryjek blocked his close-range effort for a corner.

However, we just could not replicate that first-half display after the interval and Wycombe looked the more likely to score with Jason McCarthy heading over and Mehmeti finishing weakly when well placed.

At the other end, we forced a handful of corners which were largely dealt with easily and Stryjek was rarely troubled until that added time third goal for Wednesday, fellow sub Mallik Wilks setting up Paterson to steer home from 12 yards and seal the victory with his first, and only, kick of the game.

Stockdale, Palmer, Heneghan, Ihiekwe, James, Johnson, Vaulks, Bannan (Paterson 90), Windass (Bakinson 89), Gregory (Wilks 80), Smith. Unused subs: Dawson, Iorfa, Dele-Bashiru, Mighten.




Leave a Reply