Owls play big part in thriller … but lose to late, late goal

A goal in the first minute of added time saw Wednesday beaten 2-1 in a cracking top-of-the-table clash at Plymouth tonight.

With the teams locked at 1-1 Darren Moore’s double substitution of Barry Bannan and Josh Windass on 73 minutes was arguably the turning point, with the home side suddenly beginning to dominate play and forcing the Owls to defend deeper and deeper in the closing minutes.

And that pressure finally paid off right at the end when sub Sam Cosgrove wasn’t picked up in the penalty area and he was able to head the winner past David Stockdale from eight yards.

We deserved at least a point on the night against the league leaders, playing a full part in a great advert for division one football, but some excellent goalkeeping from Michael Cooper, together with the woodwork and occasional bad decision making in good positions meant we set off for the long journey home with nothing to show for our efforts.

The Owls got off to the worst possible start, Ryan Hardie outstripping our defence after just two minutes and firing across David Stockdale from the edge of the box.

However, Wednesday replied five minutes later, Tyreeq Bakinson sending Liam Palmer clear in the box and he tucked the ball expertly past Cooper from 12 yards.

Josh Windass then went close twice in quick succession. First, he bent a 25-yard free kick just past the joint of post and crossbar on 16 minutes and then Cooper pushed his angled drive from inside the box onto the post.

It was that man Windass again who caused another scare for the home side, spotting Cooper off his line but seeing his speculative effort from the halfway line clearing the bar.

Bannan created an excellent opening for the Owls on 27 minutes, teeing up Will Vaulks from 15 yards out but his low shot was just off target when it looked as though he might have done better.

Plymouth continued to create chances of their own in a first half that was a credit to both sides, Stockdale having to turn away a fierce long-ranger from the dangerous Morgan Whittaker.

We began the second half on the front foot again, Michael Smith finishing weakly with a good chance from the edge of the penalty area and then Windass again hit the woodwork, the ball bouncing back off Cooper and he cleared to safety as Bannan closed in.

Just after the hour, another chance went begging when Bannan sent Marvin Johnson clear down the left but he elected to shoot and Cooper tipped over the bar, with a square ball to Windass looking the better option

At the other end, Stockdale saved from Bali Mumba before Cooper dived to foil Palmer’s close-range shot.

Plymouth, who made five substitutions of their own during the second half, began to have their best spell of concerted pressure in the closing minutes and following the withdrawal of Bannan and Windass.

Niall Ennis saw a shot saved by Stockdale and Plymouth thought they had taken the lead three minutes from time when Cosgrove’s header was cleared by Michael Ihiekwe, via the underside of the bar, with the home side and supporters claiming it had crossed the line.

Referee Andy Davies further annoyed the Argyle fans when he turned down two penalty appeals as they continued to threaten in the final stages but the pressure finally paid off when Cosgrove nodded home the winner.

Stockdale, Palmer, Heneghan, Ihiekwe, James (Iorfa 46), Johnson, Bakinson, Vaulks, Bannan (Dele-Bashiru 73), Windass (Paterson 73) Smith. Unused subs: Dawson, Hunt, Mighten. 16,381 (1,481 Wednesdayites).








Leave a Reply