Owls grab point from leaders in late fightback

Wednesday snatched a point in a dramatic late fightback at home to league leaders Ipswich this afternoon.

Two goals in the last 15 minutes of a 2-2 draw keep us in fourth place and still four points behind Ipswich, after being second best for most of a game punctuated by some baffling refereeing decisions.

We almost took the lead within the first two minutes in spectacular fashion when Barry Bannan seized on the ball from a poor clearance by keeper Christian Walton and his effort from just inside his own half bounced narrowly over the bar.

However, the visitors went ahead two minutes later, Kayden Jackson driving home from inside the box, and they looked the better side for most of the half, despite rarely troubling David Stockdale.

Wednesday lacked tempo and conviction in their play and our only real threats came via two crosses in the closing stages of the half. First, Michael Smith headed over from a George Byers centre and then Liam Palmer flashed a dangerous low ball across the box.

Ipswich continued to dominate after half time and it was little surprise when they doubled their lead on 71 minutes, Dominic Iorfa turning the ball into his own net.

However, the goal came in controversial circumstances, the linesman having flagged for a foul on Iorfa as he broke forward but referee Peter Wright seemingly signalling he was playing an advantage for Wednesday – even though it quickly turned into no advantage – and Ipswich broke clear in a move that ended with that Iorfa own goal.

The referee had already annoyed players of both sides with some of his decisions and the Hillsborough crowd were quick to show their anger at this latest one, leading to a second goal for the Tractor Boys.

At the same time, the controversy seemed to finally spark us into life and we had halved the deficit within four minutes, Byers slamming the ball into the roof of the Kop net at the far post from Marvin Johnson’s fine cross.

Suddenly, Hillsborough and the players came alive with Ipswich finding themselves under concerted pressure for the first time in the match.

And that upsurge in energy and belief from the Owls brought its reward with just a minute of normal time remaining, Reece James picking out Smith in the box and he headed home the equaliser.

We continued to look the more likely side to grab a winner in six added minutes and while it was not to be it was a heartening fightback from the Owls against the table toppers.

Stockdale, Palmer, Iorfa (Mighten 72), Ihiekwe, James, Johnson, Byers, Bannan, Dele-Bashiru (Gregory 57), Windass, Smith. Unused subs: Dawson, Wilks, Vaulks, Bakinson, Paterson. Att: 26, 281.

Leave a Reply