Moore on his pride … ref’s ‘abandon’ threat … and injury blow

Darren Moore spoke of his pride for the Wednesday players after they overturned a 2-0 deficit to score twice in the final 15 minutes and take a point from league leaders Ipswich.

Moore said: “I’ve said to the boys now that I’m really proud, despite all the incidents that went on in the game, of the way we kept our heads and kept going right to the end.

“To come back from 2-0 down in the manner that we did after the two goals we conceded was good. We stuck to the game plan.

“We knew towards the end of the game that spaces would appear. When George Byers scored from a set play, the roof game off at Hillsborough and it gave the players that extra momentum and impetus.

“I am really pleased with the players and I said to them in there I’m really proud of them. They gave everything for the cause to get something out of the game.

“Even at the end, going 2-2 with six minutes to go, we thought the momentum was with us and we would fashion another chance and the winning goal.”

Referee Peter Wright angered players, fans and backroom staff from both sides with some poor decisions and it led to him speaking with Moore and Ipswich boss Kieran McKenna after Wednesday fans threw objects onto the pitch in frustration.

The Owls boss said: “I could feel the frustration around it today. As a manager looking at the game and how I have got to conduct myself, I would rather not speak about the officials.

“When the referee spoke with us both, he said if another object was thrown onto the pitch he was going to abandon the game for the safety of everybody on the pitch. He said he won’t condone and have it anymore.

“While ever we grow frustrated, we are not a sole entity in terms of how we manage the game. We have got to all govern and adhere to the rules. We know that objects being thrown onto the pitch is something that you don’t do. It is something that we can all learn from today.”

Moore also revealed that defender Mark McGuinness missed the Ipswich game with a muscle injury which could see him out for a month and will also mean him having to pull out of the Republic of Ireland’s under-21 squad for their upcoming European Championships play-off double header.

He said: “Mark has picked up an injury. We have had a scan on it. We think the injury will keep him out for a few weeks. Hopefully he will be back in three to four weeks.

“It’s a big loss for us and we had to reshuffle the pack today.”


Leave a Reply