Night to forget for woeful Wednesday

Ten-man Wednesday crashed to a 3-0 defeat at Rotherham this evening after a first-half horror show.

It was a third successive reverse that leaves us still on minus four points at the foot of the table, nine points from safety, and heaps the pressure on manager Garry Monk

The game was held up soon after kick off when a drone was flying over the pitch and, after a 12-minute delay, Rotherham took the lead almost immediately from the restart.

Freddie Ladapo’s blocked shot deflected up in the air and Jamie Lindsey outjumped Julian Borner to loop a header over Cameron Dawson.

Wednesday hit back with Jack Marriott and Kadeem Harris both off target when they should have done better and then Joey Pelupessy went close from 25 yards.

Marriott forced the first real save out of Jamal Blackman with a chested effort before Rotherham struck twice in the closing minutes of the first half, with Wednesday also reduced to 10 men.

First, Florian Jozelzoon chased a through ball and, with Dawson getting himself stranded on the edge of the penalty area, Tom Lees pulled down Jozelzoon in the box. Lees received a straight red card and and Daniel Barlaser blasted home the spot kick.

Worse followed soon afterwards, Dawson parrying a shot from Barlaser straight back into the middle of the penalty area and Lindsay cracked home the rebound to complete a dreadful first half for the Owls.

It could have got worse after the interval with ex-Owl Richard Wood heading home but the goal was disallowed for offside, with Dawson again at fault.

The Owls keeper saved twice, first from Michael Smith and then from another former Wednesday man, George Hirst, as the home side looked for more goals.

At the other end, we never looked like reducing the arrears on an awful night for Wednesday and Garry Monk.

Dawson, Odubajo, Borner, Flint (Palmer 17), Lees, Harris, Bannan, Pelupessy, Dele-Bashiru, Marriott (Reach 71), Paterson (Windass 57). Unused subs. Wildsmith, Hunt, Rhodes, Kachunga,



Leave a Reply