Late double sees revival continue after Cadamarteri opener

Two late goals saw Wednesday to an excellent 3-1 win over in-form Blackburn at a freezing Hillsborough this afternoon.

It was just the follow-up result we needed after the encouraging midweek draw with league leaders Leicester and the victory takes us within 10 points of safety at the bottom of the table.

Wednesday certainly rode our luck at times at the back against a Blackburn side who caused us plenty of problems but first goals of the season from Marvin Johnson and Josh Windass in the last 12 minutes saw us take all three points.

After losing Dominic Iorfa to what looked like a hamstring injury in the opening moments, we got just the start we needed when we took the lead after five minutes with a first senior goal for young Bailey Cadamarteri.

Barry Bannan found Josh Windass in space on the left and when he sent in a low cross, Cadamarteri opened up his body to fire home in style from six yards.

Windass then went close to breaking his scoring duck for the season, cutting in from the left before bringing a diving save out of Leopold Wahlstedt from 20 yards.

And the Bannan-Windass combination almost brought a second goal when the latter saw his shot from 12 yards blocked by the head of Sondre Trondstad after a fine run and pull back by Bannan.

However, with the visitors beginning to look dangerous going forward, Cameron Dawson had to be alert to deny Harry Leonard as he threatened.

Walhstedt kept out a low 20-yarder from George Byers after 26 minutes following good work by Will Vaulks but Blackburn began to dominate as the half wore on.

Di’Shon Bernard had to turn a dangerous low over his own bar and, with half-time approaching, dangerman Sammie Szmodics had a great chance to equalise but he scuffed his shot from inside the box and Dawson was able to save with his foot.

Wednesday began the second half brightly and Cadamarteri was close to a second goal on 47 minutes, Bannan picking out the youngster but his shot from 12 yards was too close to Wahlstedt.

Blackburn came back strongly from that scare and they were rewarded on 64 minutes, James Hill picking out the unmarked Szmodics at the far post and he headed into the corner of the net.

At this stage, the visitors looked much the more likely side to go on and win the game but it was Wednesday who struck back to regain the lead on 78 minutes.

The ball broke to Johnson on the left-hand side and he strode into the box before firing across Wahlstedt and into the far corner of the Kop net.

That took the sting out of Blackburn’s attacks to some degree but the game was still in the balance until, with the visitors still pushing for a second equaliser, we broke away for a match-clinching third goal in the first minute of added time.

Anthony Musaba’s block from a Rovers corner fell to Windass just inside our own half and he raced clear before coolly firing past Wahlstedt to ensure victory for the Owls with his first goal since that play-off final winner at Wembley in May.

And there was still time for Wednesday to go close to a fourth goal, Musaba sprinting free but he shot wildly high and wide with Windass unmarked to his left.

Dawson, Iorfa (Palmer 2), Diaby, Bernard, Famewo (Ihiekwe 76), Vaulks, Byers (Johnson 46), Bannan (Hendrick 87), Windass, Paterson, Cadamarteri (Musaba 76). Unused subs: Vasquez, James, Gassama, Fletcher9. Attendance: 24,507.





Leave a Reply