‘Survival gap’ down to three points as Owls win again

Three cracking goals saw Wednesday take another step towards Championship survival with victory over play-off chasing Hull at Hillsborough this evening.

The 3-1 scoreline was our fifth success in the last eight games, taking us above QPR into 22nd place and just three points from safety.

Hull played the last 56 minutes with 10 men, after they had Tyler Morton red-carded for a foul on Djeidi Gassama, but we had already looked much the more dangerous side and might easily have been ahead by then, but for some poor decision-making.

However, Wednesday did take full advantage of the sending off with three goals inside 23 second-half minutes … and in some style.

Marvin Johnson started it off on 49 minutes when he smashed home an angled drive from inside the box that fizzed past keeper Matt Ingram and high into the roof of the Kop net.

Six minutes later it was 2-0 when Barry Bannan and Johnson combined to release Gassama and he cut across the Hull defence from the left before curling a super 25-yarder into the bottom right-hand corner of Ingram’s goal.

Wednesday continued to press, Ashley Fletcher sending a header just over the bar while Liam Palmer’s shot was narrowly wide.

And the third spectacular goal came with 72 minutes gone, Josh Windass firing a first-time half-volley from the edge of the box into the same corner as Gassama’s effort to complete our scoring.

Scott Twine then pulled a goal back from the penalty spot three minutes later after Michael Ihiekwe was ruled to have handballed.

However, Wednesday ran out worthy winners, with the end-of-match statistics showing we had 23 efforts with six on target while Hull mustered five efforts in total with only their spot kick on target.

Dawson, Valentin (M Diaby 73), Ihiekwe, Bernard, Johnson, Palmer, Bannan (Bakinson 86), Gassama, Windass (Smith 73), Musaba (Wilks 86), Cadamarteri (Fletcher 46).  Unused subs: Vasquez, James, Siquera, Phuthi. Attendance: 27,489.








Leave a Reply