Kieran makes point after early setback

Wednesday took a point against fellow promotion contenders Burnley after an improved second-half display at Hillsborough.

We got off to just the start we didn’t want, sloppy defending allowing Sam Vokes to turn in the box and slide the ball across goal for Andre Gray to tap home from three yards after just three minutes.

While Burnley rarely troubled Keiren Westwood again for the rest of the half, we also failed to show sufficient tempo and aggression to cause the visitors many problems in the first 45 minutes, although Fernando Forestieri was twice foiled by Tom Heaton in the Clarets goal.

Carlos Carvalhal clearly had words with the team at half-time as we came back out looking to stamp our presence on the game and we were level within two minutes, Atdhe Nuhiu heading down Barry Bannan’s cross into the path of Kieran Lee and he slotted past Heaton from six yards.

Bannan went closest to putting us ahead with a couple of long-range efforts and there was a better pace to our game, while Burnley looked dangerous on the break.

We introduced deadline day loan signing Aiden McGeady as a sub in the closing minutes but both sides had to settle for a point, which would have been enough to take Wednesday back into the play-off places, only for Ipswich to go above us after their 89th minute winner against Reading.

Carvalhal said after the game: “I think a draw was the correct result but if one side was going to win the game, it was going to be us. 

“They scored an early goal but we scored just after half time as the players responded. 

“I said to them at half time that we have more speed to give, another gear to go to, which would cause problems. 

“We saw that in the second half and I thought we played well. We scored a good goal, we had chances, and Barry Bannan three times shot from long range and went close. 

“We saw two good teams tonight and two teams who will cause problems for most teams in the Championship.” 

Leave a Reply