Owls exit Carabao Cup after penalty shootout

Wednesday bowed out of the Carabao Cup at the first hurdle after a 4-2 penalty shootout defeat to Huddersfield at Hillsborough this afternoon.

The tie finished goalless after 90 minutes and Massimo Luongo and Liam Palmer then both missed from the spot while Huddersfield converted all four of their penalties taken – including one from ex-Owl Jordan Rhodes. Sam Hutchinson and Dennis Adeniran had both been successful with our first two spot kicks.

Loanee keeper Bailey Peacock-Farrell was in action early on in his Hillsborough debut, making a tipover save from Scott High and then keeping out a Lewis O’Brien effort.

Overall, It was a low-key first-half display from Wednesday with our only shot on target coming when Adeniran tested Huddersfield keeper Lee Nicholls on 21 minutes.

With Josh Windass already looking likely to miss next Saturday’s league kick off with a hamstring problem, we suffered another blow on 34 minutes when summer signing Olamide Shodipo limped off with what also appeared to be a hamstring injury.

Wednesday began the second half looking livelier than in the first and Callum Paterson tried his luck with a long-ranger on 56 minutes which was dealt with by Nicholls.

However, Huddersfield then began to take charge, with Duane Holmes and Danny Ward going close just after the hour-mark before Barry Bannan produced a saving tackle to foil Sorba Thomas when he looked set to put the Terriers ahead.

Wednesday hit back on 79 minutes when sub Jaden Brown, playing against his former club, forced a good save out of Nicholls with a well-struck shot.

Then sub Rhodes missed two headed opportunities inside two of the five added minutes before the game went to that penalty shootout which ended any hopes of a Carabao Cup run for this season.

Peacock-Farrell, J. Hunt, Iorfa, Hutchinson, Palmer, Adeniran, Bannan (Luongo 84), Wing, Green (Dele-Bashiru 75), Shodipo (Brown 34), Paterson. Subs. Wildsmith, Dunkley, Adedoyin, A. Hunt.










Leave a Reply