One point, a clean sheet … but little else from dour draw

Wednesday took a point from a drab 0-0 draw with Stoke at Hillsborough this afternoon.

In truth, neither side deserved to win a game which was extremely poor in quality and low on goalscoring opportunities … and even the most die-hard Wednesday fan was probably happy not to be inside the ground for this one as we once again struggled to pose many threats going forward.

The best that can be said from the game is that the draw keeps us one place and one point above bottom club Derby, while Wycombe stay one position and two points ahead of us after their 1-1 draw with the Rams.

We are four points from safety, Forest sitting on 12 with a home game against Swansea tomorrow, while Coventry and Rotherham are a further point clear.

In an all-too-familiar Wednesday first-half performance of low tempo and few chances created, the nearest we got to breaking the deadlock came with two long-range efforts from Kadeem Harris, back from his suspension.

He shot just wide from the edge of the penalty area on 15 minutes and then went even closest 20 minutes later, seeing his fierce, low 20-yarder blocked just in front of goal by John Obi Mikel, with keeper Josef Bursik seemingly beaten.

However, they were the only two shots on goal in the first 45 minutes, with Stoke failing to get an effort on target.

The visitors went close early in the second half when Joe Wildsmith saved from Tyrese Campbell but the entertainment value was no better after the interval, an Adam Reach effort deflected wide being our only threat to keeper Bursik.

Then, in added time, we almost lost all three points when the ball dropped to Sam Vokes 10 yards out but Wildsmith saved the low shot with his feet to preserve one point from an instantly forgettable 90 minutes.

Wildsmith, Palmer, Borner, Lees, Van Aken, Harris (Odubajo 83), Bannan, Luongo, Shaw (Rhodes 46, Brown 85), Reach, Paterson. Unused subs. Dawson, Hunt, Pelupessy, Penney, Kachunga, Dele-Bashiru.




Leave a Reply