Late equaliser caps poor evening for Owls

Wednesday’s play-off hopes took a setback in a disappointing 1-1 home draw with Accrington this evening.

We looked like getting back into the top six with a second-half goal from Callum Paterson, only to concede a soft equaliser seven minutes from time from another set-piece.

The draw sees us remain in seventh place, a point adrift of the top six but, with Rotherham, Wigan, Plymouth and Wycombe all winning, it was a night when we lost ground on those around us and failed to take full advantage of other rivals not playing.

The first half saw Wednesday lacking the pace and slick passing from Saturday’s win over Cambridge, with Accrington providing much stronger opposition and knocking us out of our stride with their pressing game.

We miight have gone ahead after six minutes, keeper Toby Savin saving a rare Barry Bannan header at the far post.

Minutes later came a double chance when Saido Berahino’s shot from 12 yards was stopped by Savin and Callum Paterson fired the rebound over the bar.

Accrington caused a few problems themselves going forward but their only effort on target came from a 20-yard free kick by Ethan Hamilton which was comfortably dealt with by Bailey Peacock-Farrell.

Wednesday continued to look the more likely side to open the scoring snd another opportunity went begging just before half-time when Paterson’s snapshot from inside the box was straight at Savin.

We looked sharper after half time and took the lead midway through the second half, Jack Hunt’s shot being cleared off the line by Harvey Rodgers and Paterson firing home the reworked ball from 10 yards.

Hunt fired over soon afterwards from just inside the box but we looked nervy at times and Accrington were close to an equaliser on 79 minutes when Bishop headed wide after Lee Gregory lost the ball in the box while defending.

Worse followed four minutes later when the visitors forced their only corner of the game, Ross Sykes was able to get in a header from 12 yards out and Bailey Peacock-Farrell’s save saw the ball then hit Marvin Johnson on the line and creep into the net.

Barry Bannan had been subbed on 72 minutes and we failed to create another clearcut opening as we tried in vain to regain the lead in the closing minutes.

Peacock-Farrell, Palmer (Hunt 46), Iorfa, Hutchinson, Storey, Johnson, Byers, Luongo, Bannan (Dele-Bashiru 72), Paterson, Berahino (Gregory 59). Subs: Wildsmith, Dunkley, Kamberi, Sow. Att: 20,688.

Leave a Reply