Our scheduled upcoming Championship games away to Coventry on Saturday and at home to Wycombe next Tuesday have been postponed due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak at the club.
The training ground was closed last week, following confirmation that some of the coaches and other members of staff had contracted coronavirus. As a result of either positive tests or self-isolation, several players missed the FA Cup trip to Exeter last weekend and we could only manage to have four substitutes on the bench.
This afternoon, Wednesday confirmed that we are unable to fulfil the Coventry and Wycombe fixtures at this time due to the on-going situation and said in a statement:
‘Sheffield Wednesday’s next two Sky Bet Championship fixtures against Coventry City (Saturday 16 January) and Wycombe Wanderers (Tuesday 19 January) have been suspended.
The club informed the EFL that we would be unable to fulfil the fixtures following recent positive COVID-19 tests and the requirement for players and staff to self-isolate as per EFL and Government guidance in order to mitigate against the risk of further infection.’
The EFL said, as is normal in such cases, that the circumstances surrounding the postponements will be investigated in accordance with its regulations.
The calling off of the two matches means that our next scheduled game will now be the FA Cup fourth round tie at Everton on January 23. We were due to be at Bournemouth in the Championship on that day but the fixture had already been postponed, due to our progression in the cup.
Revised dates for the rearranged league games will be confirmed in due course, with our next Championship fixture pencilled in to be at home to Preston on January 30.